Tuesday, July 5, 2011

July 1 - 5:30am

In an attempt to not take any more of my foot - Dr. Vaughn will operate and open up the foot and have a look inside.  The plan is then to put a vacuum dressing on the foot which sucks anything out of my foot that would prevent the healing.  It's speeds the healing in some ways and it will help heal my wound from the inside out. 
 
How long will I need the vacuum dressing?  Will this be much of a setback?
 
The vacuum dressing (though it will be changed a couple times a week) will be assisting my healing for ---------TWO MONTHS---------
I don't know exactly how - but, the Dr. tells me I will be able to walk as I have been just a little more complicated with the device which has a battery backup.  So I will be able to go out of the house and be with people. 
 
Your prayers, phone calls and emails are important to me.  I will be on Facebook while I am in the hospital so by noon today (Friday) I will be finished - back in my hospital room (for a couple days) and visits both at the hospital and home are always appreciated.  Being with people I love makes it so much easier.
 
Thanks for your prayers.  Pray for Dr. Vaughn and all who will be caring for me.
 
How am I taking all of this?
 
The foot part is as I expected and I pray they don't have to take any more of my foot but, I am preparing myself mentally and emotionally for the rest of the foot being removed if this doesn't work.  More and more of the sabbatical will be more recovery and less about me getting to "enjoy" going and being with friends I haven't had time for and the others parts like walking, going to the gym etc. 
 
My eyes are another story.
 
There has been a lot of damage already to my eyes from diabetes and it cause many extra blood vessels to grow on the back of my eye but since they shouldn't be there they are weak.  Those blood vessels burst open and cause bleeding behind my eye.  Right now they are around the edge of my eye however some are getting closer to the center.  When that happens I could be partially blind or totally blind.  We are talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars for them to delay that with lasers etc.  The diabetes must be under control before they can do that and I can't get a good perscription for glasses which makes it hard for me.  I use over the counter reading glasses for now and my roommate hooked my computer to a 32'' TV in my room so that I can see well to work on my computer / not needing glasses at all to see clearly. 
 
BLINDNESS?
 
It could happen in the next 3 - 5 years.  That one is really throwing me for a loop.  But, since I live moment by moment and not in a time machine - I am thanking GOD every moment for eyes that can see - and even though my foot has these problems - thank GOD I can walk at all and this has been somewhat painless.
 
Looking forward to a long happy, healthy life and you are a big part of it.  Thanks for caring and sharing.
 
Because JESUS lives -------------So do I
Pastor Chris
 
Sympathy, pity and worry are not allowed.  Rejoicing and thankfulness to GOD and my doctors, nurses and roomate are WELCOME.  
 
   I arrived at the hospital just before 7:00a thanks to Andrew (my roommate).  I got checked in and headed off to day surgery to get ready for the operating room.  Dr. Vaughn came in to see me for a minute before they took me into O. R.  The whole thing took less than an hour.  He just opened up the left side of my foot and cleaned it up and made sure there was no infection present.  I was back in my room by 10:35.   

No comments:

Post a Comment